You asked for it...so here it is! I've created a lovely step-by-step tutorial so you can create your very own Blow Dryer Nails =]! If this mani looks familiar...it's because I took some tutorial pics as I made the original blow dryer mani...you know, just in case it was tutorial worthy =P Here we go!
These are the supplies you will need:
Base color (I suggest a light polish like white or grey)
Polishes of choice - You can do as many as you like! I haven't tested too much with formulas so I don't know how shimmers or holos would work out... I used creme finishes for this tutorial. I don't suggest anything thick like chunky glitter, though.
Medium-sized brush (not too fluffy, you're only using it to dab the colors on your nails!)
Something to stir with - I used a dotting tool
Small containers for the colors - I like using water bottle caps
Essentials (base coat, top coat, clean up brush, polish remover)
1. Paint you nails with a base coat and whatever base color you chose. I went with a simple white creme! Allow enough time for your nails to completely dry.
2. Using your small containers, create a polish/thinner mixture, using your stirring tool to thoroughly mix it up. The key to this technique is THIN polish so that it can easily spread on the nail. I used roughly a 3-1 thinner to polish ratio. Yes, it will be watery...in fact, it may even begin to spread a little before you even begin using the blow dryer, but that's what you want!
3. Heads up...these next few steps need to move QUICKLY before your color dries. Use your brush to dab a generous amount of the polish/thinner mixture on your nail. Don't be shy; make it look like a big ol' water droplet so the color is extra spreadable! Also, careful not to do any harsh movements with your brush...if you don't stick to gentle dabbing, you will wipe away the base color, revealing your naked nail underneath.
4. Grab your blow dryer, turn it on the highest setting (but not too hot, you don't want to burn yourself!) and hold it approximately 2-3 inches away from the semi-wet nail. The sudden blast of air should make the polish spread out in an irregular ring-like pattern. Btw, confession...this photo was very obviously taken when I was finished with that nail considering its quite colorful, haha =P I apologize for not going in perfect order =P!
5. Repeat steps 3 and 4 until you've used all of the desired colors. You can place them randomly or strategically...the choice is yours!
Here is a picture after I did 3 of my 5 colors. See how the colors spread, but not a ton...I think the best way to wear this kind of nail art is to start sort of sparse and fill the nail in with more color as needed. For example, once I used a little of all of my 5 colors, I went back in and added more so it looked multi-dimensional and layered. You'll see what I mean...
6. Once you are happy with the look, use your clean-up brush and polish remover to clean those cuticles up!
7. Top coat it once you are sure it is dry.
8. Stand in complete awe of your masterpiece =]!
There you have it =]! I hope this was helpful, please feel free to let me know if you need further clarification! Also, if you give this a shot, I'd LOVE to see your attempt. You are more than welcome to share your pictures on my Facebook page!
Have a great day =]!